Sunday, April 4, 2010

pizza pockets

Photobucket
These are a staple in our house.  My husband takes one to school nearly every day and eats it for lunch.  I try to change up the toppings (filling) so that he doesn't get bored with them.  And sometimes, when I find myself in a situation in which I need to feed my family in 3 minutes or less, these come in really handy.


Here's what you need: (pizza leftovers)
cornmeal
pizza dough
pizza sauce
cheese
toppings


Photobucket
Sprinkle your pan with cornmeal.  Preheat your oven to about 425 degrees.  Roll your pizza dough into a personal sized pizza shape.


Photobucket
Cut it in half.


Photobucket
Smear a little pizza sauce on one half of the dough.


Photobucket
Add a small mound of  toppings.  Season your veggies with salt and pepper.


Photobucket
Give it a generous sprinkling of shredded cheese.  (I love you, Mozzarella!  Thanks for all that you do.  Thank you especially for holding our pizza pockets together so nicely.)


Photobucket
Fold over the dough,


Photobucket
and start pinching the edges closed.


Photobucket
Pinch it closed, nice and tight, all the way around the edges of the dough (you don't want your pizza sauce making a break for it or anything.)


Photobucket
Cut some air vents into the top,


Photobucket
and place it on your prepared pan.  Bake it in the oven at 425 until the edges and bottom of the crust are golden brown.


When they are cool, put them in individual bags and put them in the freezer.  I promise that you will be glad that you did.  Sometime they will save your evening.  Sometimes my husband will say, "Let's go to Disneyland."
I say, "When?"
And he says, "Right now."
I say "That sounds great," as I throw 4 pizza pockets in the microwave and gather up the water bottles. And in a flash, we are on the road.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I just made these the other day -before reading this post. I think your dough is different than mine, because mine seemed more elastic and difficult to maneuver. I'll have to get your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! can't wait to try them! do you have a good dough recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scrumptious idea!!! And do post your dough recipe--I haven't had much success in that department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a fun mom! I wish you would come and make those pizza pockets for your Ma and Pa Romney.

    ReplyDelete