Sunday, January 15, 2012

princess

Sometimes, when I'm working on something very late at night, or very near a rapidly approaching deadline, things start going badly and I get really frustrated.  I wish that I could laugh in these moments, or take a step back and realize that everything will be fine.  But in those moments, I feel like a complete failure.


I took this first picture the night before my daughter's birthday party.   I was trying to make cupcakes, but it was just too hot.  The frosting kept melting, and they literally kept falling apart.  I took this picture (I couldn't even get the camera to focus properly, that's how wonderfully my night was going!) because in that moment, I was certain that I would not be able to finish even one decent looking cupcake before the party the next day.  I was a failure.  A true Culinary School Dropout who didn't have it in her to finish anything.  I kept thinking about how tired I was going to be the next morning, and wishing that I had gone to bed earlier so that I could have had the energy to wake up early and finish assembling the cupcakes.  I took this picture as a challenge.  Though I was feeling real despair, in the very back of my mind, I vaguely remembered that somehow, everything would be ok.





Posted by Picasa
 
But the morning always brings a special gift: a fresh start.  When my brain is a little more clear, I can a step back to look around, formulate a little plan and then dig in.  Things always turn out okay, not the perfect picture that I had constructed, but good enough.  Through each disaster, I always learn something significant and important.  Maybe someday I will be able to appreciate the my trials when I am in chest deep.  Maybe?

P.S. I ALWAYS cut myself on those little foil seals that they put on containers of pre-made frosting.  Am I the only one?  I only have to look at them from across the room and I wince.  I try to be really careful, but it never helps.

10 comments:

  1. Chelsea, I wish that just for a moment you could see yourself the way all the rest of us moms do . . . we all look at you in awe!!!! Blaine reminds me frequently that you are the best mom, and I don't even get offended --because it's you and I know he's right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute, Chelsea! I need to take lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jackie. I have always been amazed with your patience, selflessness and kindness. I know that the our whole family sure does miss having you and your family as neighbors. You really were the best neighbors anyone could ask for. Any chance of Abe getting a job in Arizona? (I know you don't like the heat, but I have heard you get used to it :))
    By the way, I thought your cupcakes turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh- those moments. I can relate, and the real question I usually ask myself is "Who am I doing this for?" (because the kids sure don't care). It's hard to keep perspective on those frustrating days with little sleep. But it's true things are better in the morning, and I'm glad you had proof. You mentioned the smashed gum drops were little skirts, but I really couldn't picture it... until now. TOTALLY AWESOME! Clever girl! Wish I could have come to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are super cute cupcakes!
    I loved reading about your feelings of despair; I often do that, and the best thing IS to go to sleep, get some rest, and have a fresh start the next day. :) Obviously, it totally worked for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this blog entry? I love the fancy b.day cake you made for Ruby. It was worth a second try -- sooo adorable! Your creativity amazes me, Chels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete